File naming convention

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Tue Jan 25 08:11:24 EST 2011

I have the need for an ugly file name hack. I need to store documentation
about arbitrary files (.html, .png, .livecode etc files) in a separate
folder (called "docs"). These files will be served by a web server - and map
directly to the original source code files so that a file "hello.txt" with
correspond to a file named something like:

   1. docs/hello.txt.html
   2. docs/hello.txt/index.html
   3. docs/hello_txt/index.html

I can then write simple functions to enable navigation back and forth
between the documentation and the source code file (in LiveCode or
JavaScript). The question is how to name the documentation file / folder?

I am leaning towards 2), as a folder allows me to put images and other
things inside that may be useful to the docs - but it feels mightily strange
to have folders with names that have file extensions! I also don't know how
well this works on the different (particularly windows based) platforms?

Has anyone any tips on how best to name a path that works on all platforms,
and can be mapped back to the source file with a simple reliable function?