pinging or else network devices from livecode

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jan 24 13:38:39 EST 2011

No, the arp command doesn't send out anything.

My sample code did an "open datagram socket to tSocket " for each IP
address, which *will* cause the IP subsystem to send an arp request
packet for the IP address (if it's not already in the arp table), but
won't cause any packet to be sent to the other host even if the arp
request is successfully resolved (Note - needs to be a datagram socket,
if it had been a TCP open then it would have initiated a TCP handshake
to the other host, which is definitely not desirable).

The arp command will only add to the table if the "-s", "-S" or "-f"
arguments are used - definitely not advised for general use.
And of course the "-d" argument will delete one entry (or all entries).

-- Alex.