use-livecode Digest, Vol 88, Issue 55

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Jan 23 12:27:59 EST 2011

Richmond-

Sunday, January 23, 2011, 9:14:17 AM, you wrote:

> With the advent of a new generation of micro-computer (phones, mp4
> players, and so on),
> that virtue may not be seen as quite as redundant as people have been
> thinking recently.

You and I are old enough to remember when squeezing bytes out of a
program was something to strive for. The Company That Shall Not Be
Named changed all that when they invented MSBloatware(tm) and
unfortunately the rest of the world followed suit. And modern CS
courses concentrate on top-down design these days at the expense of
code efficiency and elegance. Even in embedded systems it's no longer
as necessary to count bytes these days.

I'm still upset about having to carry around all the baggage of the LC
engine for a small standalone program. In the pre-4.0 days I could
write a simple script that would invoke the engine and run.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net