Plugins

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jan 20 14:24:54 EST 2011

On 1/20/11 9:28 AM, Jim Sims wrote:
> The revExample stack displays the messages that are sent and that
> seems to be all it does.
>
> In the plugin settings I can add messages to the list of messages to
> be sent to the plugin.
>
> However, those settings are not saved - when I reopen that plugin it
> goes back to the original set of messages.
>
> How does one set a default set of messages to be sent to a plugin?

The purpose of the plugin-specific messages is to help keep the plugin
from interfering with the standard message path. By implementing the
"special" messages you don't need to insert handlers for messages that
other stacks need to use. For example, if you want the plugin to know
about all instances when a stack closes, put a "revCloseStack" handler
in your plugin. LiveCode will send that message to all open plugins
whenever a user stack closes. (You may already know this, but Richard
wondered why those messages were there.)

Once you've added any specific handlers you want to use, save your
stack, quit LiveCode, and drop your plugin stack into your plugins
folder. Restart LiveCode. Open the Plugin Settings and select the
handlers you've implemented. This puts a custom property into your
plugin stack but I don't think it auto-saves the stack. It's been a
while so I could be wrong.

If it doesn't, then save your stack manually (from the message box is
okay). I think you need to relaunch again to load the saved version, and
after that your plugin will catch any of the special messages and can
respond to them.

If your plugin does not need to know about any of the actions in the
list, don't write handlers for them and just ignore them. My custom
plugins are mostly set to just be in the menu and open on demand.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com