Weird field behavior

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:32:47 EST 2011

Found a strange behavior with a field, was wondering if someone can confirm.

Is there a line length limit in a field?  If so, what is it, so I know
whether to ignore this, or not.  Or if no limit, of course can't be ignored.

The problem is, with line wrap turned off, (or left on, with a line with no
spaces) once the line gets too long it poofs. Yet, checking the line length
shows it as still there, and more text can be added to the line which is
also counted.

With wrap turned on, the length of line that works is quite a bit longer
than without wrap, but the affect is the same.  Keep adding text to the
line, the scroll thumb adjusts itself based on the amount of text in the
field, then POOF, thumb size is back to the start again as if there is no
text in the field.  Yet the line length is still tracked correctly, and as
new text is added the thumb size adjusts again till the next reset point.

There is a stack here http://guidezone.info/Field Bug.livecode to test with.
Clear the data, then start adding data with the provided button. For me, on
windows 7 with line wrap off, I can hit the button 4 times before it goes
poof, for a length of 8400.

With word wrap on, I can hit the button 7 times ending at a line length of
14700 when things go wiggy.