The best way to embed a lot of pictures in an ios application

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:02:31 EST 2011

I think it would depend on what you consider to be "large". Also keep in
mind that the number of images (and the size of your stack) will directly
impact any potential sales since AT&T limits 3G app downloads to 20 MB.

If you are talking about an insane number of images (think something like a
medical DB with images of injuries, pills, etc), then I'd highly recommend
hosting the images on a server, and the first time the app is launched
prompting the user if they'd like to download them all now or just load them
as needed via the internet. It has the added benefit of letting you update
the images w/o having to update your app in the AppStore.

Jeff M.