usb driver problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jan 17 15:43:08 EST 2011

On 1/17/11 2:29 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> How then would the Mac OS know which modem port you were opening?

There is only one "modem" serial port. The other is called the "printer"
port. Technically both ports can accept any serial device, but in this
case I assume the serial device is on the modem port.

On Windows you get a bunch of serial ports, labeled "COM1" to "COM9".

> How
> would it know you were talking about the USB port? There are older
> Macbooks and Desktops that actually have a modem as well as USB
> ports. I read the dictionary, but didn't see anything on how to
> actually specify the USB port. Just curious.

LiveCode doesn't recognize USB ports at all, so it isn't an issue; you
can't specify a USB port. The device in question is registering itself
as a serial device on, I assume, the modem port. Generally when you
select a modem in the OS you can also specify whether it is coming in on
the modem or printer port; if Thomas selects printer port instead, then
that's the port he should try to open.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com