Datagrams: or how to avoid tRev(or)

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Jan 17 07:34:41 EST 2011

David,

On localhost you can choose a random unused port and then write the port
number to a file in a pre-defined place, all clients launching read from
that file to learn which port to use. On lan, you can do like this, on the
server part, when you accept connection do some handshaking, on the client
part, just open the TCP connection and wait for the handshake, if it doesn't
happen then you're talking to the wrong software, disconnect. You can also
broadcast with datagrams, anyone using datagrams should have some sort of
error control to prevent datagrams from wrong apps (also keep aware that
datagram sizes varies with OS)

Andre