usb driver problem

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 18:19:46 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 2:18 AM, Thomas McGrath III <mcgrath3 at mac.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble accessing an Arduino Uno attached to my computer via USB.
>
> The device driver shows up as "/dev/tty.usbmodem1a21"
>
> I tried a simple open driver then read from driver then close driver. But Livecode keeps crashing or worse my computer panics and dies.

When you get the driverNames, you should get a list of lines with
three comma-separated items per line. Here is a sample of what I get
with a KeySpan USB-serial adapter connected:

KeySerial1,/dev/tty.KeySerial1,/dev/cu.KeySerial1
USA28X1a2P1.1,/dev/tty.USA28X1a2P1.1,/dev/cu.USA28X1a2P1.1
USA28X1a2P2.2,/dev/tty.USA28X1a2P2.2,/dev/cu.USA28X1a2P2.2
Bluetooth-PDA-Sync,/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync,/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

The one you need to use to connect is the 3rd item i.e. the one
starting with /dev/cu. instead of /dev/tty.

While LiveCode cannot communicate directly with a USB port, it appears
that the Arduino is providing a serial port, so this should work fine.

On my web site, there is a serial test stack
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/SerialTest.rev> that might help you
diagnose the connection issues.

Cheers,
Sarah