Creative Common Copyright Notice in Standalones

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 10:56:35 EST 2011

--- On Sun, 1/16/11, David Bovill <david at vaudevillecourt.tv> wrote:
> On 16 January 2011 13:29, Jan
> Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It does look like we have have little choice if we
> want strong protection.
> > Like you, I'm leaning towards the xGPL licenses,
> combined with a closed
> > commercial license.
> >
> > What worries me about it, is its viral nature in
> combination with LiveCode.
> > While one could argue that the LiveCode "engine"
> doesn't have to be GPL,
> > there are a few murky areas regarding the IDE and
> Externals.
> >

> It's somewhat murky - as there are no clear cut cases to
> set legal
> precedent. Also the majority of the expertise and online
> documentation does
> not cover scripting languages well. Having chased this
> down, and asked every
> open source lawyer I can over the last few years, it seems
> that GPL for
> scripting languages and closed source engines is fine. The
> same viral logic
> that applies in the domain of low level code, should apply
> also within the
> domain of the scripting language - that is the see legal
> principles apply,
> but these do not extend to the engine or externals.
>
> If a stack uses the Geometry manager, and thus needs the
> revGeometry script
> > to function correctly, should that script also be
> under a GPL-compatible
> > license? Same question for Externals, can you combine
> the GPL work with
> > commercial closed externals?
> >

> So - unless RunRev licensed the Geometry manager / IDE
> under a GPL
> compatible license, it would not be possible to publish
> open source GPL code
> together with the Geometry manager code. If this were not
> the case it would
> make a nonsense of the entire principle of GPL for
> scripting languages. With
> regard to externals - you would (in the muddy world of GPL
> and scripting
> languages) be OK. This ain't legal advice - just best
> practice from someone
> who keeps asking :)

Heh, I'm also curious about these things and want to make sure I take the right decision - and the only way to find out is by asking questions :-)

So, assuming the Engine and Externals are OK, should we ask RunRev HQ for an official definition of the license of the IDE and script libraries? Hopefully one that is GPL-compatible?

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====