Datagrams: or how to avoid tRev(or)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 10:51:21 EST 2011

--- On Sun, 1/16/11, David Bovill <david at vaudevillecourt.tv> wrote:
> I would like to implement as robust
> as possible localhost (possibly later
> lan based) socket communication protocol between LiveCode
> based apps. While
> I've done a number of experiments, any can get teh 2 way
> comms going no
> problem - I'd like to do things in a way in which possible
> clashes with
> other apps listening on the same ports is dealt with. For
> instance I don't
> know which port tRev listens on?
>
> AFAIK - this is what Zero Configuration
> Networking<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking>is
> all about (ie Bonjour). I know there was an unsupported
> external
> knocking
> around - but I'm thinking maybe a poor amns version would
> be possible. On
> OSX you cna use
> mDNS<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/mDNS.1.html>I
> believe - how about windows, and linux?

For a Java project at work, I've been using JmDNS to enable service discovery over a LAN: <http://jmdns.sourceforge.net/> Since it's pure Java it works on MacOSX, Windows and Linux.

Through process communication, you could manage a Java process running a LiveCodeHelper class that takes care of the registration and discovery of services.

When I find the time, I'll write up a blog post...

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====