Datagrams: or how to avoid tRev(or)

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sun Jan 16 10:14:51 EST 2011

I would like to implement as robust as possible localhost (possibly later
lan based) socket communication protocol between LiveCode based apps. While
I've done a number of experiments, any can get teh 2 way comms going no
problem - I'd like to do things in a way in which possible clashes with
other apps listening on the same ports is dealt with. For instance I don't
know which port tRev listens on?

AFAIK - this is what Zero Configuration
Networking<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking>is
all about (ie Bonjour). I know there was an unsupported external
knocking
around - but I'm thinking maybe a poor amns version would be possible. On
OSX you cna use
mDNS<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/mDNS.1.html>I
believe - how about windows, and linux?