[OT] HIG & Free books.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 03:50:25 EST 2011

After 12 hours straight sleep I feel human again; the compounded effects
of wrestling with bucketloads of Beta-tester feedback on my Devawriter
Pro and
teaching from 8 am to 6.30 pm were getting "a bit much".

However, as I, phoenix-like, arise from the ashes; I am inevitably
spitting my
usual fire, so, during a walk over to a local hotel to cheer on some of my
pupils in a chess olympiad I started musing about LIvecode and Human
Interface
Guidelines (HIG) and, on returning, found these:

Windows;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e49820cb-954d-45ae-9cb3-1b9e8ea7fe8c
(PDF)

Macintosh;
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIntro/XHIGIntro.html

GNOME;  http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/

KDE;  http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG

OLPC;  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines

ECLIPSE;  http://wiki.eclipse.org/User_Interface_Guidelines

Kaplan seem to be giving away books about the iOS HIG until 17 January;
time to
shift oneself pretty quickly . . .  :)

http://www.pupuweb.com/blog/search/ibook-ios-hig/

Love, Richmond.