No Check Box in the Dictionary??

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jan 14 21:49:45 EST 2011

On 1/14/11 7:49 PM, Calvin Waterbury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't mean to be picky, but neither "checkbox" nor "check box" is in
> the dictionary. If I missed something, please tell me?

It isn't obvious. Those are button styles, so search for "style", though
that won't tell you too much. Anything in particular you wanted to know
about them?

While the tool palette makes the different button styles look like
different objects, they're really just variations of the basic button
object but with different properties set. (Same for fields and
scrollbars.) The tool palette is more of a shortcut device so you don't
have to set all the properties yourself. You can change any kind of
button into any other kind by changing its properties, though the
inspector doesn't always let you do that (forcing you to use the message
box instead.) The inspectors reinforce the concept of different kinds of
buttons, rather than a single button object with different properties.

So, checkboxes and radio buttons are very much the same object, respond
to the same commands and events, and really the only difference in this
case is how their hilites are drawn -- which you don't need to worry
about because the engine does that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com