Any Convention on Naming Conventions?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jan 14 20:36:50 EST 2011

Everyone has their own. I name variables beginning with the, as in theSQL, but others will tell you this is bad practice because if I put a space between the and everything else, LiveCode will think I am talking about a property! DOH! I'm a bad, bad programmer. SBT Accounting used to have all variables begin with m (for Memory I guess), arrays began with a, global variables began with m0 (or a0 for global arrays) etc.

Besides that, I preface data grids with dg, groups with grp, labels with lbl, data fields with fld, buttons with btn, etc. Why you ask? Because the Application Browser sorts by name, and this way I can have all my like objects sorted together whilst still maintaining the tree format it uses. Also, when searching, I can find all references to buttons by searching my scripts for btn.

I also try to make it a habit to enclose object names in quotes. It isn't strictly necessary, as LiveCode is very forgiving in this respect, but it avoids any conflicts and actually makes it a bit easier to distinguish variables from object names in my code.

Bob