Is this doable at a newbie level?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jan 14 19:51:43 EST 2011

If you look in the Dictionary, under date you will find several items, the date function, the dateFormat function, the datetime keyword, and the dateItems keyword. Also, if you look for clipboard you will find the clipBoardData property.

Between all this and some experimentation you should be able to come up with a button that will take the current date and or time in whatever format you desire and set the clipBoardData to that.

Note that setting properties is not the same syntax as creating or altering variables. You set a property using the set command. You alter variables by using the put into form.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could build an appleScript into a variable and then do as appleScript to query the system for the foreground application and then tell that application to paste after all that. But that's just for extra credit.

Your stack should have it's systemWindow property set to true, but this will only float it above other LiveCode stacks. I don't think there is a way to make it float above every application in the OS, but I might be wrong there.

I don't think this will take long for you to do if you try. Dropping the date/time into a selected field of another LiveCode stack would be easy. If you want to drop a date/time stack at the cursor of another application, that could prove more difficult.

Bob