Windows code signing

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jan 14 17:37:01 EST 2011

On Jan 14, 2011, at 1:15 PM, David C. wrote:

> Hey Bob,
> I probably worded my reply "heavier" than it was actually intended...
> ...I just love as much freedom as possible, in all that I do.
No worries. I love freedom too, I just hate the freedom that those who write malware seem to feel they have. Actually, I have a whole list of people who are so bad that I think we should restrict their freedoms, but that is treading dangerously close to violating forum rules. And what about these forum rules? Pretty restrictive wouldn't you say? I think I should demand my rights to talk about Jesu... well never mind. I understand the need for restrictions. There's a time and place for everything, isn't there?

> Hopefully without stirring up a hornets nest, I'll add that I see very
> little difference between Apple and Microsoft in terms of how they
> treat their users in general. Although Apple has a much better (and
> deserved) reputation overall, they are extremely "closed up" and
> "walled in" in terms of the rights of the end user. That's you, I and
> our neighbors.
I'm an IT guy and I see a HUGE difference. Before there were Windows Updates, it was Microsoft's policy that security was the responsibility of the end user. It wasn't until the major public outcry that Microsoft decided to "help" us by trying to close up some of the security issues in their own OS. They in fact began to do some pretty hefty walling in of their own, because people demanded it. And the philosophy that things shouldn't be "walled in" would not have gone over well in ancient civilizations. Cities that were not "walled in" got "swallowed up" by the next tyrant who wanted to rule the world.

Also, I am one of those guys who don't think anything is a "right" that isn't in the Constitution (only because we all agree to abide by it) (foreign citizens I apologize) or is spelled out in whatever form of contract we have made. In the words of a very good man, "While the money was in my hand, was it not mine to do with as I wished? I have not wronged you. Take your money and go your way." I can't tell you who said that or what parable it was, because that would violate forum rules. But I think He must have liked cheese...

> The app store I see as little more than an additional battening down
> of hatches, as in:
>
> You WILL use OUR operating system on OUR hardware from OUR store from
> OUR approved applications list, made available from OUR approved
> developers... and you WILL like it.
More like, "You CAN use OUR operating system on OUR hardware from OUR store from OUR approved applications list, made available from OUR approved developers, IF you like the look and feel of it and how things work, and if not you can still go to the local store and do it the old fashioned way. It's totally up to you."

I think that a lot of issues in the world are drummed up by misrepresenting the position of the opponent, and then vilifying that opponent for maintaining that drummed up position. I know people who think I want to let old people die and I want to take over the world with the military simply because I am conservative. That is not the least bit fair to me and I resent it, but I cannot change their minds. It's too convenient for them to think the way they do about me.

If you talk long and loud enough about what is "wrong" with someone else, most people will think that you must be on to something because they think you could not be that upset about something unless you know what you are talking about. So others don't bother to consider the position of the opponent, and so take sides thinking they have it right. In this way you can start whole movements, even cults, because people are basically intellectually lazy and don't want to take the time to think things through and try to see all points of view. The German people were perfectly happy to believe that Jews were trying to take over the world, because the people telling them so were also the ones making it possible for bread and milk to be on the table each night.

I think you are misrepresenting Apple's position here. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Everyone still has a choice. Of all people, I don't think you can accuse the very liberal Steve Jobs of wanting to abolish freedom in regards to our choices in technology. He strikes me as someone who genuinely enjoys making cool things that other people like. People clearly like the App Store model, because inordinate amounts of money have been spent by consumers and wise developers have become hugely successful using this model.

> I understand that the "user experience" is a huge draw for anything
> Apple, but is that really worth having every detail in the process
> dictated? Food for thought.
Dictated? Again, that is pretty clearly a misrepresentation. I beg to differ.

> Best regards,
> David C.

Bob