ID's are settable???

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 13 13:26:40 EST 2011

DunbarX wrote:

> So the id of a new object is indexed from the current stack ID. I thought
> (for no reason at all) it was the other way around, that the stack took on
> the id of a new object. I guess this way is more compact; the stack id
> property is the id counter.

Unless I misunderstand, I think the difference is semantic/philosophical.

Whether the stack ID is incremented before an object is created, or
whether it's after, I don't know.  I just know that by the time we have
any way to know, both are in synch, and as you say the stack ID is the
ID counter.

> Anyway, I will just do what I always did, never think about setting an id,
> and the issue (feature?) goes away. I use altID's, and they can continue to
> do their thing.

They continue to work, AFAIK, but have similar limitations in range so
it may be useful to keep that in mind if you create and delete many
objects at a time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World