Creative Common Copyright Notice in Standalones

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Sat Jan 8 05:09:26 EST 2011

Hi Richard - a few minor points / corrections:

On 8 January 2011 00:17, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> > As a practical example I would not be able to submit my code
> > libraries or code I have form other people to the revIgnitor
> > project, as the license was hand crafted. Ralf changing the
> > license to a GPL compatible license made everything start to
> > work nicely.
>
> That may work well for you, but that means for me I can't use revIgniter as
> an embedded system in a closed-source product.  Not that I have an immediate
> need for that, but I'd considered using revIgniter for a project recently,
> but that project has a likelihood to fork into an embedded proprietary
> component down the road, so GPL stuff would be challenging to consider.

That's not true, you can use revIgnitor in a closed, or embedded contexrt
because the (GPL-compatible) Apache 2 license allows this (as would the
GPL-compatible MIT/X11 license). That was Ralf's intention.

Not sure but you may be mistaking what is meant by GPL compatible (see
link)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_compatibility>- it is not
the same as GPL! It just means that GPL projects are able to use
the code from any of the GPL compatible licensed code bases. In this way the
MetaCard project uses a GPL compatible license.

> The same will go with other projects that seek to make compilations
> > of open code. A mosaic of poorly thought out licenses will cause
> > real problems.
>
> Anything poorly thought out will cause problems. :)
>
> There are scenarios for meaningful sharing that aren't addressed by
> GLP-compatible licenses, so while it would be desirable if there were fewer
> licenses in the world, the diversity of needs seems to require equally
> diverse terms to describe them.

Richard, could you be more specific - apart from the lack of a
"non-commercial" option you can get with CC, I have not come across any
scenarios that you can't address using GPL-compatible licenses. If you could
give an example it would be real useful to me, as it is a main focus of my
work - thanks :)