[OT] time to change your iTunes password?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jan 7 11:50:48 EST 2011

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that these people got a trojan on a Windows machine which logged their keyboard while the users were accessing their iTunes accounts. Otherwise I think it would have been a whole helluvalot more.

Everything Apple does with security is AES based. I have not heard of anyone trying to "crack" an AES hash. I went to a security conference once, where they announced that to crack an MD5 hash (think Windows XP/2000 Logins) a fairly complex password could be brute forced in anywhere from 5 minutes to two hours. The same password in AES-256 would take 1.2 million years.

Bob