Missing plug-in. Again

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jan 5 15:46:04 EST 2011

I put mine in /Users/Shared/My Livecode. That way any account that logs in can use LiveCode with all the plugin's intact. That will probably never happen, but I am a stickler for such things. It keeps me from shooting myself in the foot, which must be really dam painful.

> On 12/30/10 4:25 PM, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:
>
>> My installer did not create a folder "Documents/LiveCode/Plugins", if that
>> matters. I can certain navigate, via that preferences dialog, to the folder
>> in question. Or anywhere around it.
>
> I know, they'd avoid some confusion if they created those folders for you. Anyway, the enclosing folder can be named anything and placed anywhere (but best to avoid the app folder, make it a user location.) But inside that you must have a folder named exactly "Plugins". And your plugins go there.
>
> If you still have a My Studio (or My Enterprise) folder inside Documents, put your plugin inside the Plugins folder in there and point to My Studio (or whatever.)

OT: Speaking of which, I have an entertaining and educational shoot-yourself-in-the-foot story for anyone interested. When I was in the US Navy, I served aboard a destroyer called the USS Decatur. A more scurvy lot of maladjusted, devil may care sailors you will be hard pressed to find on any ship that sails the seven seas. Seriously, almost everyone was ill tempered and had an attitude about something. I think people were assigned to this command as some kind of punishment. Frighteningly enough, this particular destroyer was Nuclear Anti-sub Anti-ship torpedo capable, and often carried Nuclear ASROC's on board, although only the CO, XO and Weapons officer knew if it did at any given time or not.

Necessarily, for training purposes, Security Alerts were staged, which involved appointed guards that were ALWAYS making the rounds going into a high alert condition and checking all the sensitive areas where a bad guy might be trying to get at the Big Boy Ammo. We were told that these Security Alerts were never drills. We were always to assume it was the real thing and execute them as such. The first thing that the roving patrol was required to do was unholster his Colt 45 that they were properly trained to carry and use, pull back and lock the slide, Insert a magazine of Little Boy Ammo, and then carry it pointed upwards with the finger off the trigger whilst making the rounds.

On one particular day, a second class petty officer in a particularly nasty mood had to stand a second round of the security patrol because his relief was AWOL. To make matters worse, they staged a security alert minutes before he was to be relieved. (They really loved to do things like that). Of course, you wouldn't have a change of the watch during a security alert for obvious reasons, so now this guy was forced to stand 2+ watches, with no definite time for his being relieved.

So now picture him doing his rounds, steaming like an overcooked potato, whilst carrying around a colt 45 with magazine inserted and full of those nasty little lethal lead pellets, with the slide locked back. Scary huh? But at least if there really was a bad guy, he could drop the slide and fire relatively easily, without running the risk of accidentally shooting someone. I suppose if there really was a bad guy and he encountered him, his mood was perfect. Now, Military command has been called a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them. So if you followed this you will realize there still is no round in the chamber. All well and good.

But this particular alert went on for almost an hour after the man was supposed to be relieved, (or so it seemed to him) so when they called All Secure, he stomped down to the quarterdeck griping and moaning the whole way. When he got there, he laid the gun down on the podium, whipped off his belt with all the clips (except for the one that was still inserted in the gun of course), and while still biching and fuming to the guy relieving him, he watched as his relief put on the belt, dropped the slide, stuck the gun in the holster and, yes kids, pulled the trigger. I kid you not. There had to be some soiled underwear amongst the few sensible sailors standing around on deck, or should I say now sprawled on their faces all over the deck.

Now needless to say, about 12 things that were supposed to happen to prevent this, didn't. They were *supposed* to remove the magazine (if there was one in the gun), pull the slide back, poke a finger in the chamber, look through and see light in the barrel, look through the handle and see light there too, put the gun down on the podium, take out all the magazines, count the bullets, take the belt off, put it on the podium, and then watch the relief do everything in the opposite order (except for inserting a magazine in to the gun obviously), with the final 4 actions being, drop the slide, point the gun at the water, pull the trigger and holster the gun.

So the moral of the story my dear friends, is people who are not stickler's for procedure, even when it doesn't matter, eventually "shoot themselves in the foot". And no, I was neither of the two. C'mon, how many of you thought I was??Needless to say, neither of those sailors re-enlisted. I don't think the Navy would have let them even if they wanted to. That should make you feel at least a little bit safer!

Bob