Mac App Store compliance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 4 10:17:17 EST 2011

Richard Miller wrote:

> Could someone please list the (primary) issues developers need to pay
> attention to in order to make Mac apps compliant with the new store?

Prohibited items include self-updating (even though iTunes itself does
that), and non-standard GUI elements (even though iTunes itself does
that too).  You're also not allowed to let the user try your product
before purchasing, but that's not something LC can address.

One user in the LC forums has noted that his app was rejected because
his document windows don't darken the close dot to indicate unsaved
changes.    This has been noted in the RQCC, but I've not heard from RR
as to when this will be addressed.

Elsewhere Jan Schenkel has noted that toolbars such as the attractive
implementation in Trevor's ScreenSteps can't currently be implemented in
a truly HIG-savvy fashion, and that's been flagged as an enhancement
request in the RQCC as well.

A good toolbar implementation also requires other related details, such
as sheet positioning and adding a standard Toolbar button.

We'll also need some means of integrating with Apple's reg system, since
you're not allowed to manage that yourself.  It would be helpful if
others here who've dealt with it can tell us what's needed to support that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World