As Sheet Dialog

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 3 17:02:56 EST 2011

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

 > Hi Richard,
 >
 > Thanks for chiming in. The size and case of the text. More and more
 > senior citizens use computers and many have vision problems as acute
 > or worse than my own.

Good news:  Windows provides a built-in means for users to adjust their
font sizes system-wide.  Now that I'm over 40 I wish Mac had that as
well.  It's really handy, and I think you'll find most folks with
suboptimal vision have taken a moment with their control panel to adjust
their settings to fit their vision.  Those that haven't should:  it's
built in exactly for that reason, and only takes a couple seconds to change.

Bad news:  Rev has no built-in way to accommodate the user's font size
settings.  You can, however, get the registry setting for that and
adjust your layout accordingly.  If that becomes a desirable option for
you I'd be happy to look up the reg key.

 > For instance, the LC splash screen cannot be read by me due to the
 > colors that are used, which is even worse than the often, small text
 > sizes.

Study after study has shown that white on black is somewhere between
difficult and painful for readers of all ages.  Too bad it's gotten a
rep for looking cool, since an ever-increasing variety of sites, UIs,
and even printed materials use that motif, while our ocular physiology
hasn't evolved at the same rate to make it any less of a bad idea. ;)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World