Basic libURL bug?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Jan 2 21:27:29 EST 2011

Dave,

It's just a standard IIS logfile from a server. There's nothing funny about
it. In fact, I cut/pasted it into a text file and uploaded it to the server
it's on right now, so as to keep Chris from hollering at me! (It had the
problem on our server as well).

Do you suggest I add the debug line you mention, or is there something
'better' to do for now?

TIA,

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Dave Cragg <dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk>wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2011, at 00:34, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
> > Chipp-
> >
> > Sunday, January 2, 2011, 4:26:40 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >> Even more interesting. On my Mac, it returns correctly, just not on my
> PC.
> >
> > Yep. I can verify that here. Returns 4558 every time on OSX. On XP I'm
> > getting different results. Sometimes 4558, sometimes 0 (I added a "put
> > the result into field 2" and sometimes find interesting things there:
> > "error No Header received"), I've gotten 1583, 3675...
>

> I'm also seeing strange results on Windows.
>
> At first it seemed like random quantities of data were being received, but
> now it seems "stable" and consistently receives 207169 bytes of data (out of
> 1079427).
>
> Some stranger stuff...
>
> I tried to trace what was happening in libUrl. (edit script of button
> "revLibUrl" of stack "revLibrary")
>
> In the libUrl script there is a handler named ulDoProcessLength. The start
> of this handler looks like this, except for the two "DEBUG" lines I added.
> If you uncomment these, they will output into a field that you can set with
> libUrlSetLogField.
>
> on ulDoProcessLength x,y
>   local tStatus
>   ##normal http case
>   if y <> empty then
>      ulStoreData laUrl[x],y
>      add length(y) to laReadBytes[laUrl[x]]
>      //ulLogIt laReadBytes[laUrl[x]] & "," & length(y) & cr //DEBUG 1
> -ADDED BY ME
>   end if
>
>   if laReadBytes[laUrl[x]] >= laLength[laUrl[x]] then
>      put "true" into laStatus[laUrl[x]]
>      //ulLogIt  laReadBytes[laUrl[x]] & ", " &  laLength[laUrl[x]] & "," &
> length(y) &  cr //DEBUG 2 - ADDED BY ME
>      if char 1 of laStatusCode[laUrl[x]] = 2 then ##in 200 range--OK
>         if laFile[laUrl[x]] is empty then
>            put "cached" into tStatus
>         else
>            put "downloaded" into tStatus
>         end if
>
> If I uncomment the first DEBUG line, all the data gets downloaded. This
> seems to be consistent. Not sure what this means, but at a guess, I'd say
> the short time used to log the data is allowing LC to read properly from the
> socket.
>
> But stranger still...
>
> If I uncomment the second debug line (and comment the first one), it
> outputs this in the log field:
>
> 207169, 1079427,1440
>
> Given the condition in the "if" line, this should be impossible.
>
> Maybe I've had too much sherry over the holiday, so if someone would like
> to try and see if they see the same it would be interesting.
>
> One question, Chipp. Is there anything in the data that might "upset" LC
> and therefore cause stange comparison results?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.