Android Tablets

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 28 15:24:05 EST 2011

On 2/28/11 2:04 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I don't think China wants them back, what with all the hidden malware
> and all. Can't risk giving themselves the worm. ;-)

I know you're joking, but to be fair, that was never one of the issues.
Mainly, the cheapest way to return a unit is to declare it as something
it isn't (I've forgotten what now) so that the lowest shipping fee is
$50. For some of these units, that's about a third of the original cost.
Then it takes weeks to get it back, again because of shipping issues.
The company seems reliable and responsive, it's just that they are so
far away.

Other issues included minor problems with synching, cell phone support,
that sort of thing. Probably some of these are universal across all
Android devices depending on what other hardware you have. But I didn't
see as many reports of that for the Archos.

Negatives for Archos are that they won't connect to Android marketplace
by themselves, but a 1-minute fix enables that. Also, they allow very
little RAM for installed apps on the device so you need an SD card to
expand storage. They allow tethering to your cell phone for 3G internet
access but some phones won't work. I don't care about that part, the
device is wi-fi enabled and for my use that's enough. Wi-fi is reported
to work flawlessly.

The positives outweighed the negatives for me, especially since I'm
getting it primarily as a developer device for LiveCode.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com