Deflating Binary Data

Nonsanity form at nonsanity.com
Thu Feb 24 15:54:53 EST 2011

I've got a binary file I'm parsing in LiveCode, and it contains sections
that are compressed with the deflate compressor. This is the same format
revZip works with, except this isn't a group of files, it's just raw byes.

Has anyone worked out a way previously to handle this in a multi-platform
way? I'm pretty sure I could pipe this data through the shell command - one
way or another - to have a command line gzip on Macs decompress it for me.
But I don't know of a way to do this on Windows that doesn't require an
additional install.

Maybe there's some way to fool revZip into doing it for me? I'm not against
writing the data out to a temporary file, if that is necessary, though it's
best to avoid that sort of thing. It's already in memory, so it's best to
keep it there for the decode.

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity