Android Tablets [WAS: Google Store...]

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sun Feb 20 14:36:41 EST 2011

On 2/18/2011 at 6:15 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> I am, however, looking for a good Android tablet so I'll be
> ready when RR is. If anyone has suggestions on that, I'm all ears.

For those who do 'love' Apple, they say the best form of flattery is
imitation.  I have to say, the look of the iPad is sleek and nice.
Therefore, if you want a similar iLike device which can run Android, just
order it direct from China.  I have been following many of the copy-cat
Android devices from China, and this is one of the best I have seen. Most
are wi-fi only, but that meets my needs. The prices are significantly less
than the usual retail channels because most are using resistive touch
screen technology rather than capacitive (i.e. fingernail or stylus -vs-
fingertip control). The better resistive screens are still very responsive,
and can work using your fingertips.  Check out these reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzD6Iek3zKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95im6Hu2Etk

This one is the same size as the iPad, and should fit iPad cases and
possibly some peripherals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9nJjl_d1So
http://www.pandawill.com/gpad-gforce-mid-97-inch-android-22-multitouch-capacity-screen-8gb-gravity-sensor-aluminum-shell-camera-silver_p40084.html

Most of the above can be ordered from  http://www.merimobiles.com/  and
similar outlets from China.

Keep in mind that there are CHEAP clones of clones too.  When the device
hits the less than $185 US price range, they are usually equipped with very
slow processors (600 Mhz or less), and the user experience really suffers.
I have bought the cheap ones just to see, and my personal experience says
don't bother.  I will be getting one of the above soon <birthday
approaching>.  ;-)

Roger