RevServer deployment on OSX Server

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Feb 18 16:22:23 EST 2011

On 2/18/11 1:41 PM, Keith Clarke wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification Jaque. So, I already had the current
> LiveCode server before I 'invested' in the revServer myth.

Depends on what we're talking about. You asked about feature parity; in
that respect, 3.5 and 4.x are similar as far as what you can do with
server-side scripting and the engine itself. There are bug fixes in 4.x
of course and some added commands and syntax that might be useful
depending on what you need to do.

But as far as use and interface, the two are quite different. I find
RevServer to be far easier to work with, debug, and write code for. I
can use includes, CSS, and other native HTML features. Avoiding the
older CGI tedium is a huge plus. Like I said, if you have ever tried to
debug a CGI you are in for some major hair-pulling. And constructing
HTML from a CGI is tedious, verbose, and often requires templates stored
on the server which have to be read in and altered by script. Generating
HTML from a CGI requires pages of "&quote&" syntax or merges. And then
there is the astronomical number of trips back and forth between your
server error logs -- which tell you almost nothing about what's really
wrong -- and your text editor, which is where you'll be writing your
scripts.

When using irev, everything is integrated on one page. The HTML is
native and doesn't need to be generated. You can mix normal HTML with LC
scripting as needed. No translations or merges are necessary. Irev
allows you to set a global flag that will put error messages right into
the browser where you can read what's wrong immediately. IRev pages load
as normal URLs like other web pages, without needing to call out to the
CGI-bin directory.

If I never have to look at a server error log again, it will be too
soon. The very first irev page I made was a re-make of an older CGI. Let
me look that up...

Old CGI required:
   In CGI-bin folder:
     CGI text script to run everything (about 30 lines)
     Text file of image names
     Text file HTML template, for merging with generated output
   In web directory:
     Folder of images to display
     HTML page containing an iFrame to display CGI output

New iRev page requires (all in web directory):
   HTML-irev page with 2 lines of LiveCode script
   Text file of image names
   Folder of images to display

The page in action is here:
<http://jacque.on-rev.com/codebits/flowerscgi.irev>. There's a link to
my CGI tutorial there too if you want to see what's involved with those.

Sorry this got so long.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com