[OT] Apple at it again

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:12:26 EST 2011

On 02/17/2011 07:23 PM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2011, at 17:36, Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>> Heh heh. The Germans loved Hitler! He took Germany from a faltering bankrupt country full of starving people and made them a great nation.
> No. He destroyed a recouping economy and restarted the war that was deemed to be the last one ever needed. Also, there was no "the Germans" (and still isn't) as implied by you.

A certain percentage of the Germans voted for Hitler because the country
was in a bad state and, at
that point, he seemed to offer a way out. Of those who voted:

1. A large proportion had no idea of what he would subsequently do.

2. A lot more were hypnotised by the razzmatazz, the "sexy" uniforms and
the organisation.

I don't think any Germans "loved" Hitler; what I do think is that a huge
number of Germans
were BRAINWASHED by Hitler.

Now, if we examine the Stanley Milgram experiments (whic has already
been done on the Use-List)
we can see that Americans are just as susceptible to brainwashing and
peer pressure as the
Germans. I suspect that any set of human beings in the "right" place at
the "right" time could
go the same way.

So; while blaming the Germans for what Hitler did is all jolly
fashionable and so on, it is a load
of old tosh insofar as the vast majority of the German nation (and an
awful lot of other people
as well) were suffering from a sort of collective madness for about 7-8
years; the consequences
of which were just as devastating for them as for most of the other
people involved in the World War.

And Bob's "Heh, heh" only serves to let us know that his "The Germans
loved Hitler" is on the level
and as well thought out as the sort of stupid pronouncements I used to
come out with when I was 7
years old.