[OT] Apple at it again

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 16 12:07:28 EST 2011

"If it's Tuesday it must be a new iOS license..."  ;)

Personally, I'm not too concerned about this latest move by Apple.

Like Chipp says, Apple will backpedal on this once the implications
become clear, just like they did last time:
<http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/2010/09/apple-blinks-flash-tools-now-allowed.html>

Apple is a smart company, far too clever to let all that money walk away
- as Seth Weintraub at 9to5Mac wrote yesterday:

    "In fact, I’m willing to bet this move by Apple will spark
     the biggest move to HTML5 web stores that’s ever existed."
<http://www.9to5mac.com/52179/apple-to-world-put-up-or-shut-up>

I'll wager this policy lasts no more than a few months.  The only
question is whether the reversal will happen before most of the major
publishers revamp their apps as web sites.

And as long as I have my soothsayer hat on, I'll go one step further,
first gently reminding the readers that I also predicted here that Apple
would adopt multi-button mouse functionality and move to Intel years
before they did:

Before 2012 is done The Daily will be a web site.

It simply makes business sense:  a good news organization requires more
eyeballs than a single form factor can provide, and it's an unnecessary
limitation in a world of ever-increasing diversity of form factors.

An app can reach several million iOS users, but a web site can reach
billions of people using every device from every manufacturer.  The only
mystery here is why publishers didn't start thinking this through until now.

There was never a better time to sharpen one's JavaScript skills.  Much
of the money flowing into iOS projects today will be HTML5 projects
tomorrow.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World