[OT] Apple at it again

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Feb 16 00:37:12 EST 2011

Colin, if you read the article I referred to, the key issue is the
part that reads,,

'"Apple does require that if a publisher chooses to sell a digital
subscription separately outside of the app, that same subscription
offer must be made available, at the same price or less, to customers
who wish to subscribe from within the app," Apple's statement read.'

Most know Amazon (or for that matter any other mature channel presence
company) does not have in it's business proformas an extra 30% profit
on every item sold, to send to Apple. Furthermore, Kindle fulfillments
are delivered from Amazon's own servers, and I'm sure the buying
habits, nor privacy details of their customers are not something they
wish to share with Apple or any other third party.

Furthermore, Apples states in the article,

"Publishers and content sellers must remove any links within their
apps to outside-the-App Store purchasing options, Apple said, a
requirement that means Amazon.com must eliminate the link to the
Kindle Store that it currently provides in its iPhone, iPod Touch and
iPad apps."

So combine that with the REQUIREMENT they allow for in-app purchases,
and it appears the decision is already made for Amazon. Please tell me
where you think I am off base.

My guess is we'll see some back pedaling b Apple on all this very
soon. They'll call it "a clarification."

Hmmm. I wonder how Groupon or other companies like them who use an
iPad app to sell their services will fare?