Obtaining the public IP of a computer...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Feb 9 09:08:46 EST 2011

I don't know of one.

I'll go further - there is not, and cannot be, one.

Your "public IP address" is assigned for you by the last NAT step
between your private network where your machine lives and the public
Internet. Note there may be more than one NAT step, and there may be
more than one router hop between you and the NAT function. So the
address can only be correctly returned to you by either the last NAT box
or by a host on the public side of it. A NAT box cannot (except by some
horrible hackery) tell whether or not it is the last NAT step, so that
leaves only a pubic host/service.

-- Alex.