a praise for RevIgniter

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Feb 9 08:07:19 EST 2011

Folks,

As some here know, I work half of the week at a company doing PHP work
where I maintain and further develop an old codebase used to send
marketing campaings and newsletters by email. Our code is very
convoluted because the previous 3 programmers had an XGH mentality. I
will not enter my infinite rant loop talking about those guys that
came before me and instead I will focus on something else. Here we
deal with some absurd huge datasets. Some of our multiple databases
weight 5 terabytes, we have a database with more than 10 thousand
tables and millions and millions of records. Most of my day is spent
hunting for bad records for we don't actually have good administration
tools here for our daily work. We have some admin interface to our
system but we don't have tools focused on development and maintenance
of the system so when something goes wrong is is a pain.

The other half of the week and nights, I usually work my freelance
contracts and also works with my friends on our startup
(www.devacode.com.br) which right now is suffering the disease of the
youth which is trying to do too many different things at once but at
least it is succeding in some and making us proud. There and on my
freelance works, I tend to use RevIgniter which is a marvelous web
development framework for RevServer. I must say that the documentation
for RevIgniter is waaaayyyyy better than ANY DOCUMENTATION for another
LiveCode tool or even for LiveCode itself. It is just Great! Now let
us get back on topic...

Back at the PHP company, my boss finally agreed with me that we needed
some tools for our own development practices. It can take up to 10
minutes to find something at that database when all you have is
phpMyAdmin to deal with those elephant size databases. Opening a 10k
tables database in phpMyAdmin is an adventure. Here, I can't use
RevServer, my boss will simply not allow any LiveCode application.
I've built some LiveCode tools for my own use here but for the tools
that he want us both to use, he wants PHP. So I went shopping for some
PHP web framework and decided to give CodeIgniter a try. When Ralf
created RevIgniter, he was inspired by CodeIgniter, I knew that but I
wasn't sure how similar they were. Heck they are so similar that
except for the fact that one is doing PHP and the other LiveCode, the
rest is absolutely the same. It took me half an hour to check out some
of the syntax for CodeIgniter and then, all my knowledge from
RevIgniter was instant transferable. I knew how to organize stuff and
where to look in case something went wrong. I am building our own
tools in PHP with CodeIgniter at a fast pace because my previous
experience with LiveCode and a similar framework. Now that I am deep
into CodeIgniter, I can appreciate RevIgniter even more. It is quite
hard to achieve that kind of quality.

If anyone here is doing web with RevServer, consider using RevIgniter,
your code will be eaiser to deal with and lots of things come bundled
for free.

Links of interest:

http://www.revigniter.com
http://www.codeigniter.com