How to send a number as a number or How to rule an LED

Calvin Waterbury cjw at eml.cc
Sat Feb 5 13:52:43 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm not a real big fan of the "muscular morons," but it might improve
your opinion of Sylvester Stallone if you were aware that he not only
starred in the "Rocky" series, but he wrote and directed too!

My family just did an experiment for an exercise in film criticism
(acting like critics) and while there was plenty to nitpick about, we
found the character of Rocky was actually quite complex.  I'm not saying
the storyline was not easy to anticipate, but if you enter "Rocky's
World" and put yourself in the character's life/mind, the challenges he
faced were significant and the "character" of Rocky changed throughout
the series.

I think one of the fallout of watching so many movies in a never-ending
stream is people never have time to reflect on what they just watched
with any depth of thought or feeling.  Knee-jerk critics, siskel, ebert,
etc.  are the most vulnerable to this syndrome.  In order to produce a
review they have to shoot from the hip, but they never get a chance to
just let it simmer.  I have personally found a number of movies that
seemed inane on first glance, but in forcing myself to view them with a
different attitude, I have uncovered some gems, but your mileage could
vary.  :)

~Calvin