Cascading Option Menus

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Wed Feb 2 14:24:34 EST 2011

I guess on the theory that no news is good news then any news must be bad!  Back to the drawing board I guess.

I'm thinking I have a couple of choices.

I could use an option menu showing what would have been the main menu items in the cascading scenario, and either a second option menu that displays what would have been the submenu items, with the second being populated when the user clicks on the first or use a modal dialog to get the secondary choice.

The other option is a popup menu.  I already have a popupmenu on the datagrid so it shouldn't be too hard to add some new items to it.  I stayed away from using it because currently, the popup menu items act on the data in the  datagrid row that the user clicks on whereas these new items would not.  I can separate the row specific items from the others with a line but how does that gel with HIG?

Pete Haworth