No dial command

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:11:04 EST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:29 PM, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:

> HC sends DTMF tones with the "dial" command through the speaker jack.
> These can connect to a dialer gadget called a "TurboDialer", which
> connects to a
> telephone handset.
>
> Nothing like that in LC at all? Never mind the hardware.
>
> It is actually possible to   make calls that way by holding the
> receiver up
> to the computer speaker.
>
> Shades of Captain Crunch.

I used this in an old HC stack. When I joined my current group
practice I discovered that the modern phone system here (apparently a
LAN with its own server, all self-contained) wouldn't recognize the
tones played through the receiver. So I retired that feature. The loss
is now somewhat mitigated by my being able to use voice-activated
dialing on my iPhone....

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

It was all so different before everything changed.