DataGrid Problem

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:25:04 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Charles Szasz <cszasz at mac.com> wrote:

> I am using the Form version of DataGrid and not a table. The form is a scrolling field. I have one field "strategy" that displays statements from an array. This works fine. But as I stated before I have not been able to add an Edit Field (field "freq").
>
> When I include the following code for a Edit Field (field "freq") in the Behavior script, the statements from my Strategy field disappears!
>
> on FillInData pDataArray
>   set the text of field "Strategy" of me to pDataArray["Strategy"]
>   set the text of field "freq" of me to empty
> end FillInData
>

> on LayoutControl
>   local theFieldRect,theMasterRect
>
>   put the rect of me into theMasterRect
>
>   put the rect of field "Strategy" of me into theMasterRect
>   set the left of field "Strategy" of me to item 1 of theMasterRect
>
>   put the rect of field "freq" of me into theMasterRect
>   set the right of field "freq" of me to item 4 of theMasterRect
>
>   put the rect of grc "Background" of me into r
>   set the rect of grc "Background" of me to r
> end LayoutControl

Hi Charles,

For editing a field in a datagrid form, you need a little more code
than the fillindata and layoutcontrol handlers.

First of all the LayoutControl handler have one parameter you can use
for getting the rect of me:

on LayoutControl pControlRect

In the LayoutControl handler, you are placing controls relatively to
their own rects instead of using the rect of the datagrid cell. I have
not tested the result of your code, but the result should be a bit
different than the result you are expecting.
This could maybe explain why the strategy field is not visible:
because it is maybe not include in the rect of the cell row.
Comment the layoutcontrol code and try again.

About editing a field in a datagrid form:

Most common usage is to edit a field by double clicking on it.
So you need a mouseDoubleUp handler in your behavior script:

on mouseDoubleUp pMouseBtnNum
   if pMouseBtnNum is 1 then
      if (word 1 of the target is "field") then
         if the dgProps["allow editing"] of the dgControl of me then
            EditFieldText the long id of the target, the dgIndex of me,"freq"
            exit mouseDoubleUp
         end if
      end if
   end if

   pass mouseDoubleUp
end mouseDoubleUp

1. The field is editable only if the datagrid is editable (the
dgProps["allow editing"] of the dgControl of me)
2. With the EditFieldText handler we are assuming you have a key named
"freq" in your datagrid data.
3. the dgIndex of me is the index of the edited row.

For more information about the EditFieldText handler, have a look to
this datagrid lesson:
http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/datagrid/l/7336-How-Can-The-User-Edit-Field-Content-in-a-Data-Grid-Form-

Best regards,
--