Database syntax

Michael Doub mike at doub.com
Tue Dec 20 15:51:44 EST 2011

Thanks Pete,

I just found an example that indicated that I don't need to use the base64encoding.  Is this true?  "*b"

 put  "INSERT into ContactData (" & \
            "myKey," & \
            "RecordType," & \
            "RecID," & \
            "Name," & \
            "GroupNbr," & \
            "LastContact," & \
            "DaysTill," & \
            "DataArray) " & \
            "Values (:1,:2,:3,:4,:5,:6,:7,:8 )" into tUpSQL
      put the pNetDB of stack "MyNetwork" into sNetConnID
      put empty into x
      put 0 into tRT
      revExecuteSQL sNetConnID, tUpSQL, "x","tRT","x","x","x","x","x","*btSettings"

If I understand you correctly you are recommending that I make sure that x = Space or something else
other than empty.  Correct?

I need to go lookup the details of the default key word.   If I use it would the above syntax be
simplified to:

 put  "INSERT into ContactData (" & \
            "RecordType," & \
            "DataArray) " & \
            "Values (:1,:2 )" into tUpSQL
      put the pNetDB of stack "MyNetwork" into sNetConnID
      put empty into x
      put 0 into tRT
      revExecuteSQL sNetConnID, tUpSQL,"tRT","*btSettings"

Can I use this substitution trick with any SQL statement, specifically the updating?

I am working on an app for IOS and I am worried about memory consumption.  Ideally I would
have liked to just use arrays and been done with it, but memory concerns have me trying to learn
SQL and rev's implementation.   This is why I am shying away from helper tools.   My thinking is
that these tools must be pretty sophisticated, and that translates into memory usage.   For a PC
app, i would use them for sure.

-= Mike