Database syntax

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Dec 20 15:43:57 EST 2011

put "INSERT into <tblName> (RecordType,DataArray) VALUES (0,<ArrayText>)" into theSQL
replace "<tblName>" with theTblName in tSQL
replace "<ArrayText>" with quote & theArrayText & quote in tSQL
revExecuteSQL tID, tSQL

That is how I would do it. It's easier sometimes to create an SQL statement using placeholders like <arrayText> and then replace them with a variable containing the actual value in the code.

I may have the syntax messed up there (not tested use at your own risk) but that is essentially how it's done.

In answer to your second question, yes the myKey will get a unique value each time a record is inserted. It will get a number equal to the last inserted record +1. It does this because your table is defined having the autoincrement set for the myKey column.

Also, the advice for using defaults whenever you can is good advice, but sometimes you don't want that. Sometimes you want to test for NULL to see if a value has ever been assigned, putting an empty string if a value is ever deleted. It's a matter of technique I suppose. But if you don't provide a default, then NULL will be assigned. If NOT NULL is set for a column, and you do not provide a value or a default, it will throw an error. That is the gotcha.

Bob