Launch command changed in 5.0.2?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 17:00:04 EST 2011

Some readers may remember my difficulties with the 'launch' command, where the dictionary entry for 'launch' says

> When the launch command executes, the application being launched comes to the foreground. When the user quits, LiveCode comes to the foreground.
>
> If the application is already running, the launch command does nothing, and "Process is already open." is placed in the result function.

I didn't find the second line to be true, and I found it easy to launch multiple instances of the same app on Windows XP Home edition, and I reported it on this list, where the general opinion seemed to be that the command would only work for LC-originated apps. Several people helped me with VB scripts for detecting if an app was already running so that I could avoid relaunching it.

Well, I just installed LC 5.0.2, and tried 'launch' again (launching a non-LC application), and it worked as described! I can no longer launch multiple instances, and I do get the message in 'the result'. I don't think I've changed anything else - still launching the same test app in the same Windows environment. So I suppose the engine must have changed, although I don't see anything in the release notes.

Can anyone confirm this change - or think of another explanation?

Graham