Updating myApplication Inquiry

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Fri Dec 16 14:39:28 EST 2011

Hi Graham,

I use a simple text file on my server, which contains the latest version number and the message I want to show, as htmlText, if people have an old version, and another message, also as htmlText, which I want to show if people have the new version.

My script downloads the file, checks the version numer and shows the appropriate message in an answer dialog. The answer dialog always contains a "Go to wewbsite" button and a "Cancel" button, because I want to give people an easy way to find the place where they originally downloaded the application.

If somehow the file on the server can't be downloaded, then I show a default message, together with the same two buttons.

Once people decide they want to download an update, they go to the website and download the installer. The installer (made with Installer Maker) simply overwrites all old files or, if you created an installer with only those files that were changed, just updates and adds files as required.

It is also possible to update your application from within, using a separate update standalone, which downloads and installs your files and then starts the new application, after which the update appliction is updated.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com