French Ears

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 14 18:29:55 EST 2011

Hi from Beautiful Brittany.

Michael wrote :

> I'm not interested in the translations, just the quality of the
> French accent.

Michael, it's the best French speech I have ever heard (I have 45
years of
French, in France, under my belt !)

However, computer speech is monotonous (great difficulty in placing
tonic
accents).

I think the weather will change tomorrow
i THINK the weather will change tomorrow
i think the WEATHER will change tomorrow
i think the weather will CHANGE tomorrow
i think the weather will change TOMORROW

Same sentence - at least five ways of saying it !

And this is just the tonic accent in a complete word. When you have a
multi-syllable word, placement of the tonic accent is capital.
Take any three or four syllable word and say it with the tonic accent
in the wrong place. Odds are that even an Englishman would say ......
"I beg your pardon" !

Although tonic accents are far less important to French speech, they
do exist !

However, forgetting the tonic accent, the FRENCH accent on this site
is damned good !

HTH

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"