Setting the value of a button hilite in script

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Tue Dec 13 21:48:29 EST 2011

Thanks for the suggestions Phil.  I'm attempting to put initial values into
all the controls on the card not just buttons.  My code figures out what
type of control it's dealing with by looking at the first word of the
abbrev name, then the menumode and style if it's a button.  Once it's
figured out what type of control it's dealing with,  it issues a set for
the appropriate property or a put if it's field.

I've worked around the problem by using a do command to issue the
appropriate command instead of hard coding the command itself and that
works just fine.

I think this is just one of those weirdnesses that comes up every now and
again.  In this case LC is treating everything as text even if it's a
reserved word, which I can kind of understand.  Unfortunately, unlike the
sort command discussion that's been going on the last couple of days,
there's no simple keyword I can add to make it work correctly, hence the do
command workaround.

While we're at it, here's another oddity that always bugs me.  The
"compiler" (the thing that runs when you click the apply button) can't
figure out the difference between "repeat for" and "repeat with".  I'm
prone to using the wrong form just because I can never remember which is
which.  I often write something like "repeat for x=1 to the number of
controls on this card".  It should be "repeat with" but the error doesn't
get flagged until run time.  Once again, not a big deal, but seems like
that should be detected as an error during the Apply process.

For no particular reason other than I'm an Englishman living in California
and completely off topic, I'm really missing the British pantomime
tradition at this time of the year. "OH YES I AM!!!"

Pete

Pete