DSN Less connections to ODBC database

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Fri Dec 9 16:56:14 EST 2011

I am on a Mac but it needs to be Xplat.

I don't think you *need* a DSN on either platform.  My evidence is that PHP
doesn't require it.

the PHP function odbc_connect() can use either a DSN or a DSN-less
connection string can be used.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.odbc-connect.php

hmm maybe I could use the same syntax as PHP

be right back...

Todd

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Todd Geist wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experimenting with a generic an ODBC datasource.  I can connect
> using
> > revOpenDatabase and DSN, but I would really like to ditch the DSN. Does
> any
> > one know if this is possible? I have tried to just enter the host and
> port,
> > but somehow you need to specify the driver.  I did install the driver in
> > the same folder as the others. But that didn't help.
> >
> > Any one try this?
> >
> > Todd
> >

> On which OS?  In my experience, Windows needs a DSN for ODBC.  I just let
> my stack check for it, then create it if needed.
>
> ~Roger

Todd Geist

(805) 419-9382