setProp and Lock messages

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sat Dec 3 13:21:50 EST 2011

Todd,

I don't think this is a problem because you can unlock messages right before setting the data of the datagrid and lock them again immediately thereafter.

unlock messages
set the dgData of grp x to bla
lock messages

The only problem I foresee is that you have a handler that runs recursively, e.g.

on foo
  repeat with x = 1 to number of groups
    delete grp 1
  end repeat
  send foo to me in 1 sec
end foo

This is a silly handler, but if you have something similar to this, then you might want to lock the messages while you create a group (e.g. a datagrid) dynamically, and use the group for some tasks before allowing it to be deleted. Again, this is a silly scenario, but it serves the purpose. Your solution would be:

lock messages
copy grp "My Datagrid" from stack "Some Stack" to stack "This Stack"
// next line won't work
set the dgData of grp "My Datagrid" of stack "This Stack" to bla
// do some things with the data grid here
unlock messages
// now the datagrid will be deleted

To solve this problem, you use a local variable instead of locking the messages:

local lAllowDeletion
on foo
  if lAllowDeletion is not false then
    repeat with x = 1 to number of groups
      delete grp 1
    end repeat
  end if
  send foo to me in 1 sec
end foo

And now you could set the data of the datagrid like this:

put false into lAllowDeletion
copy grp "My Datagrid" from stack "Some Stack" to stack "This Stack"
// next line WILL work
set the dgData of grp "My Datagrid" of stack "This Stack" to bla
// do some things with the data grid here
put true into lAllowDeletion
// now the datagrid will be deleted

Sometimes relying on lockMessages just may not be the right thing to do.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com