VideoGrabber on Linux

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Tue Aug 30 14:58:35 EDT 2011

VideoGrabber is Mac and Win only.   According to the 4.6.3 release notes it
will eventually be replaced by revCapture.

>From the release notes
*Mac – revCapture video capture library (4.6.1 – experimental )*
The revCapture library is begin developed as a replacement for
revVideograbber – utilising the most
up to date APIs on each platform, and eliminating many issues the previous
library had (including
problems introduced by Apple with iSight video-capture in 10.6.5 onwards).

At this time, the revCapture library is Mac-only, and is integrated as part
of the revVideograbber
external; it will be moved into its own external and become cross-platform
over time.

So it looks like the future of VideoCapture on Linux and all platforms is in
revCapture.

I don't think there have been any changes with revCapture since 4.6.1.
Hopefully revCapture will get some attention in one of the next versions.

I am still using Videograbber on the Mac.  The problem with capturing from
the iSight camera introduced in 10.6.5 was resolved in 10.6.8.  It also
works in Lion.

I am looking forward to revCapture on the Mac though, but there are still
problems that need to be worked out before I can use it.  I have posted some
bugs regarding that on the QCC.

If you have feature requests or bugs post them to the QCC with some votes so
we can bring some focus to videocapture.