[OT] Mediocre Britain

James Little littlejamesw at mac.com
Tue Aug 30 11:38:14 EDT 2011

Keith,

Thanks for the info on "Wicked" problems and Compendium.  What is "IBIS" in this context?

I too am intrigued at the thought of applying LiveCode tools to such problems.  Strengths of LiveCode that seem relevant include:  rapid development, relative shallow learning curve for new users, reasonable cost, breadth of tools from desktop to mobile to server, growing number of 3rd party products and generous supportive community.

Given the importance and challenges of "Wicked" and "Super Wicked" problems (see below), I hope that LiveCode can play a role, though it seems like an immense endeavor, requiring the talents of many.

Jim L.

Kelly Levin, Benjamin Cashore, Steven Bernstein and Graeme Auld introduced in 2007 the distinction between "wicked" and "super wicked problems".[23]  ...

They defined super wicked problems as having the following additional characteristics:

Time is running out.
No central authority.
Those seeking to solve the problem are also causing it.
Hyperbolic discounting occurs
While the items that define a wicked problem relate to the problem itself, the items that define a super wicked problem relate to the agent trying to solve it. Global warming is considered as super wicked problem by others.[1]

from   http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_problem