LC 4.6.3 Gotcha?

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Mon Aug 29 01:34:24 EDT 2011

On Aug 28, 2011, at 9:12 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 8/28/11 6:50 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
>
>> What is a card group?
>>
>> Do you mean to say it is necessary to "send" a message to a card group?
>
> It's a group that does not have backgroundBehavior set. It gets messages before the card does, like buttons and other card objects. If a script somewhere after the card needs to trigger a message in a card group, then it has to "send" the message, just as it would send to a card button. That's why it sounded to me like your group was a card group; if it were a background group it would behave the way you were used to.

Okay, I get the analogy to buttons. Buttons can contain handlers, but they are not in the normal message path. You have to "send" the message to the button, and appropriately name the button in the send command so the message will find its way there.

Apparently, groups work that way when backgroundBehavior is set to "false" Didn't know that. Know it now. Knowledge is power, they say, and I hope it's true.

That's not why my script stopped working.

How does the message path work if you have several groups on the same card, all with backgroundBehavior set to true? That is more like my situation. Any gotchas there?

Cheers,

Tim