LC --> Website ?

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sat Aug 27 13:20:02 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Bob Earp wrote:

> Hi Chip,
> It certainly would be cool !!  But don't we have a half-way (at least)
> solution using LiveCode ?   If Timothy wishes to use the ease/features of
> LiveCode, couldn't he host his existing site on the on-Rev server and then
> plonk chunks of LV functionality on his pages ?
>
> What would be the downside of that ?
>
> best, Bob.
>
> PS, best to Dan when you see him next.
>

> Bob Earp
> White Rock, British Columbia.
>
> > Hi Timothy,
> >
> > The simple answer to your question is, nope. You can't just design your
> website on cards and have it convert to a website-- wouldn't that be cool if
> you could!
> >
> > Websites are typically created from HTML, CSS, and sometimes serverside
> scripting which helps fill in the dynamic portions of the website. Sometimes
> database calls also need to be made as well.
> >
> > You can use LC for the serverside scripting, but you'll still need to do
> the HTML and CSS for the look and feel for your website. If this is all a
> bit complicated, you may want to try some of the self serve website builders
> available out there. Many of them require no previous knowledge of HTML,
> CSS, or scripting whatsoever
> >
> > Chipp Walters
> > CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc

Chip is correct that "You can't just design your website on cards and have
it convert to a website", but you can run stacks with multiple cards as a
revlet using the RunRev plugin.  There are currently limitations with which
browsers, but for the ones it works on, it works great!  I don't do
html/css/php, etc.  I use LiveCode 100% and publish as revlets, and this
makes database access a breeze.

˜Roger