Recursive Object Function?

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 07:56:47 EDT 2011

I guess you have probably thought of using a recursive function, but if not, then here's an example. I use the following in one of my routines. This finds which of 2 "master backgrounds" a control is part of -- each of the 2 bg's contains a large number of controls and groups and nested groups. At one point, when the user clicks on a control I need to know which master background that control belongs to.

function masterBG theObject
   put the long id of the owner of theObject into onr
   if word 1 of onr = "card" then
      return theObject
   else
      return masterBG(onr)
   end if
end masterBG

This doesn't do what you want, but the principle of using recursion on the long id is probably what you will have to do. Sounds like a useful utility handler -- when you get it figured out, I'd love to see it.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig